Thursday 5 January 2012

Super Duper Tool Belt!

Happy New Year everyone!

Its been a crazy couple of weeks what with the silly season and all, but I've managed to slow down and whip up my first creation of 2012.

Ok so I've mentioned before that our lil guy loves all things that roar - cars, bikes, lawnmowers, power tools - so today we're making a tool belt to help him carry his trusty tools around the house. Poor little fella has been crying out for one of these, resorting to stuffing his tool shaped puzzle pieces in his pants!

Me thinks these tools need a belt!

This is a really simple idea and yet a fabulous item for a bit of boy role play. I cut two squares of fabric - the same width but one slightly longer that the other - and joined them together at the bottom. The front (shorter) piece will provide little pockets for the tools to live. 

Feeling slightly creative today, I decided to add a little embroidery floss in the shape of a hammer to give it some character. 


Next I simply sewed some straight lines down the front to create pockets, and added this little belt to the top.


The belt came with a pair of jeans and had been sitting in his cupboard for well over a year because frankly I find belts on little kids clothes annoying and unnecessary. I am glad I hung on to it though as it came in very handy for giving this tool belt some boyish grunt! 

Previously homeless tools love their new pad!

And the verdict from the man himself? Pretty stoked! Here he is giving it a whirl....

"Is it for me? Oh, thank you so much!"

2 comments:

  1. super cute. love your blog Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I only wish I had more time on my hands to do more.

    ReplyDelete