Friday 21 October 2011

Kaftan-abulous!

I have been missing in sewing action for a few weeks but fear not - I am back on the machine! Today I tried my hand at some copycat action based on this light & breezy kaftan/beach throw I picked up a few months back. I love this little piece and I'm certain its going to get worn to death around the pool and beach this summer.


While doing the obligatory whirling and twirling one does in a newly purchased flowy number, I discovered it was really two big semi circles of fabric that made up the front and back. See?



So when lil sis mentioned that she also had a fondness for my new purchase, I thought I'd try my hand at doing a bit of copy catting.

I layed it out exactly as above on some colourful summery fabric I snapped up on spesh. Then I traced one semi circle for the front and one for the back and cut a 'v' for the neckline. I did tinker with the idea of making a yoke for the neckline but instead decided on simply overlocking and sewing under. That's right my friends - I am even testing the overlockering waters!

The end result? A fabulous little kaftan/throw with a great splash of summer colour. This fabric is a little thicker than the original and so doesn't have the same soft flow, but a couple of washes should fix that.



Yay for summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment