Friday 12 August 2011

No-Sew Basket Lid

This little basket has been on my hit list for a while and I finally got around to giving it a facelift. The original fabric on the lid was black which got destroyed (don't ask) & I gave it a quick fix but it was always looking back at me with a sad face. (Truly, it was) Here's the before:



 Off came the black fabric and I stripped it down to its shell. I used the shell to trace a circle of this cute apple fabric and a circle of wadding which gave the top a bit of extra pouf. ("Pouf", is that even a word?)

So, first off I took the top circular piece from the shell and placed on the wadding followed by the fabric. Then I made small cuts all the way around the edges which could be easily folded over the edge and hot glued down. That's right, this is a completely no-sew project and I have discovered a new love for hot glue!

 Folding the edges & securing with my new buddy, hot glue

 Then cut a long strip which will go around the edge of the lid & secure every so often with hot glue. But don't use large amounts or you'll end up with lumps under your fabric. When you get to the end, fold the edge under for a clean finish & you guessed it, another dollop of the hot stuff!

Fold the edge under


Now its just a matter of gluing the poufy lid to the top and you've breathed new life into the tired old basket. I love the little pop of colour it gives to our bathroom.


I think the toilet rolls will be happy living here. Now I have a thirst for more home decor makeovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment